Apple Cider Vinegar as an alternative therapy for relieving eczema has become a popular topic online. The theory of why it could help focuses around pH levels and the skin barrier. People with eczema tend to have high pH levels affecting the skin barrier and allowing in irritants. It's also an all natural astringent that could help with harmful bacteria. There are few risks associated with using diluted apple cider vinegar as a treatment for eczema, but irritation could occur so after your first treatment wait 48 hours before a second treatment to make sure it is effective for your skin. See below the many ways some have used apple cider vinegar for relieving eczema. Always speak with your doctor about starting any new home therapies and if you have questions.
Tips to selecting the best apple cider vinegar:
- Avoid buying at the grocery store if you can. Grocery stores often carry vinegars that are pasteurized, which are clear and do not contain near as many health benefits that unpasteurized vinegars do. Check out the health department or visit a health food store to find the correct ACV.
- Organic and raw apple cider vinegar are optimal. Vinegar that has not gone through any filtration will be dark yellow/brown.
- Look for “The Mother” on the label. The Mother is a cobweb-like substance that floats inside the bottle. It sounds odd, but The Mother is a key indicator of good quality because it is holding together nutrients.
Apple Cider Vinegar Bath:
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to your lukewarm bath. If being used for a baby bath, you can add 4 tablespoons of ACV to every 3.5 liters of water.
- Soak for 20-30 minutes to fully allow the ACV to absorb into your skin.
- Pat dry and immediately apply an eczema emollient. Vanicream ointment is great for post-bath use. It is free from harmful chemicals, scents, and is dermatologist recommended.
- After applying an emollient, use an eczema wrap to lock in the moisture to get the maximum benefits of the apple cider vinegar. The Wrap-E-Soothe™ eczema wraps come in baby, child, and adult sizes and use TENCEL® fabric which is ideal for eczema. They are also made in the U.S.A. and are free from zinc, and added dyes. The less you put on your irritated skin, the better.
Apple Cider Vinegar Moisturizer:
- Combine 1 tablespoons of ACV with ¼ cup of eczema moisturizer. Moisturizer can help your body retain it’s natural moisture as well as locking in the ACV. You can also try coconut oil.
- Apply generously to your skin, start by using this 1-2 times per week and see how your skin reacts. Increase use over time if no reaction. Always consult a physician with questions regarding any irritations. Avoid using this moisturizer immediately following an apple cider vinegar bath.
Wet Wrap Therapy with ACV:In the ratio of 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of warm water, wet fabric in the solution and apply to the affected area. The ACV can help reduce harmful bacteria and the wet wrap will lock in moisture.
- Use Wrap-E-Soothe™ eczema clothing or sleeves as the wet fabric. They are ideal for wet wrap therapy, you can wash and reuse! These also can be used dry underneath clothing as an anti-itch protective second skin.
- Immediately after, cover with dry eczema-friendly fabric.
- Wear the wrap for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight for best results.
Diluting Apple Cider Vinegar for a Skin Tonic:
- Mix ¼ cup ACV to ¼ cup water. For sensitive skin dilute to ¼ cup ACV to 2 cups water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture to the affected area. You can also put this mix in a spray bottle and spray directly on the affected area.
- Start by using this method once per day, and increase up to 2 times per day over time.
- Apply eczema emoilliant after use to avoid dryness. Vanicream emollient is unscented and chemical-free so it will not interfere with the effectiveness of the vinegar.
This information is not meant to replace a visit to a physician or a physician’s advice. Always consult your doctor about your medical conditions. AD RescueWear does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment of any condition.